Best Keto snacks and pantry essentials to stock your home



A

s much as veganism seems to be ruling the roost when it comes to the nation’s dietary choices, the pendulum does swing the other way.

On the opposite end of the scale is another community that favours the exact opposite of plant-based plates – those who swear by keto.

The lifestyle promotes adopting a low carb, protein-heavy meal plan which can help some people shift pounds so dramatically that some health experts even recommend it to help manage Type 2 Diabetes.

Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist for Dietitian Fit & Co. Reema Patel is on hand to tell us more about keto and answer our burning FAQs.

What is a keto diet and how does it differ from low carb?

“A ketogenic diet severely restricts carbohydrate intake to as little as 5-10 per cent of energy intake (this calculates to be between 20-50g carbs per day for most people). This is whilst substantially increasing fat intake to around 70 per cent, with protein intake remaining around 20-30 per cent of overall energy intake. Carbohydrate restriction comes not only from typical foods such as bread, rice, pasta and potatoes, but also many vegetables, fruits, beans, pulses and dairy products. Macronutrient counting is important to ensure you are sticking within percentages for ketosis.

“However, a lower carbohydrate diet is not as restrictive – this often focuses on consuming mainly proteins and non-starchy vegetables whilst limiting grains, sweetened foods and beverages, starchy vegetables and possibly fruit.”

READ MORE

How does a keto diet plan help weight loss?

“A keto diet encourages ketone bodies to be produced, as fat eaten then turns into ketones, which can be used to supply energy to the brain. A ketogenic diet can help to reduce insulin levels, which improves blood sugar management. The body will start to convert fat into energy, and this can help decrease overall fat storage.  A ketogenic diet may also help reduce appetite and food intake, which can lead to a reduction in overall calories consumed.”

How much can you expect to lose from doing a keto diet?

“Typically weight loss can be between 1-2 lbs a week (0.5-1kg a week). At the beginning, weight loss may be larger, though this is often due…



Source link