The ketogenic or “keto” diet has gained popularity has has been followed by many for their diet regime. This diet basically prioritizes high amounts of fat and low amounts of carbs. Proponents of a ketogenic diet generally suggest limiting carbohydrates to 10 percent of total daily calories, protein to 20 percent to 30 percent and obtaining 60 percent to 80 percent of daily calories from fat. But, a recent new research has said that the low-carb, high-fat “keto-like” diet may double the risk of cardiovascular events blocked arteries, heart attacks, and strokes. Not just this, it might also be associated to higher blood levels of “bad” cholesterol.
The study on 5 March was presented at the American College of Cardiology’s Annual Scientific Session together with the World Congress of Cardiology. The lead author of the study Dr Iulia Iatan said that their study is one of the first to examine the association between this type of dietary pattern and cardiovascular outcomes.
Also Read: Heart attack ‘not a men-thing’: 5 ways women can take care of cardiac health
“Our study found that regular consumption of a self-reported diet low in carbohydrates and high in fat was associated with increased levels of LDL cholesterol – or “bad” cholesterol – and a higher risk of heart…