Trust us, some of them are really delicious.
Parade.com has an extensive editorial partnership with Cleveland Clinic, consistently named as one of the nation’s best hospitals in U.S. News & World Report’s annual “America’s Best Hospitals” survey. Click here to learn more about our health reporting policies.
Thinking about making the keto diet your new solution to shedding some pounds? Then it’s time to find out what foods you can eat on keto—and we’ve got you covered!
According to the Cleveland Clinic, a keto high-fat eating plan aims to change your metabolism from carbohydrate to fat; the theory is that you’ll then burn fat using ketones as energy as opposed to glucose. A fat-based diet like keto will stop your insulin levels from spiking when you eat, so you don’t store fat.
Then, your liver will make ketones, so your energy is compensated for. Within a couple of days on a keto plan (eating between 70-80% fat, 15-25% protein, and around 5-10% carbohydrate), your metabolism will most likely get faster and you’ll start losing weight. You want to focus on eating “good” fats on keto, which are unsaturated and monounsaturated.
Related: What Is the Keto Diet and How Does It Work?
So what foods can you eat exactly on keto? Focus on your favorites, but don’t be afraid to try new things, too—being on keto can truly open up your taste buds, in addition to shrinking your waistline. We came up with a food list for the keto diet to help you stay on track. And trust us: A lot of them are really delicious. Get ready to stock up!
Keto Diet Foods
Keto dairy foods
1. Butter. Cooking with it on Keto is OK.
2. Heavy cream. Add it to recipes rather than the low-fat variety.
3. Plain yogurt. Make it high-fat, but avoid any sugary varieties.
4. Mayonnaise. Top a cheeseburger with it instead of ketchup.
5. Sour cream. Use as a dip with veggies, avoid reduced-fat.
Related: Easy Keto Recipes for Beginners
6. Cottage cheese. High in protein and calcium, cottage cheese can be a great mid-day snack.
7. Cream cheese. Surprisingly delicious with berries! Give it a try.
8. Parmesan cheese. Tasty with veggies for a quick lunch.
9. Swiss cheese. Packs a protein punch, with 27 grams…